Monday, February 13, 2012

Finish

Masochist's log:  Sunday, Feb. 12, 2012

It was a freezing cold, windy, sunny day.  The perfect conditions for my first 5k. 

After a week of running very poorly...I could not run more than 27 minutes earlier in the week and the whole time it was a brutal struggle.  Something was not right with me.  I thought I must be coming down with something.

I had decided to rest and not run Thurs.--Sat.   Sunday morning came and I still was not feeling my best, but I was going to try and do this.  What was the worst thing that could happen?  If I had to walk some and run some that is OK, too.  I was number 128 for the 32nd Annual Run for the Roses in Raleigh.

 A few things I can tell you from running my first 5k.  Lots of people run and then walk, run and then walk.  Since my goal was to just run the entire distance, and since I did not know the course, I kept it slow and steady.  This served me well as the first two miles were very pleasant.  The last mile had a few larger hills.  Lots of people walked up those.  Since I was going my turtle pace, I was able to keep my pace running up the hill, in the freezing cold with the very gusty wind in my face. 
 Here I waved to Bill and the girls as I ran by.  The finish line was just a little bit ahead.  When I saw the timer on the clock at the finish line, I kicked it into high gear and made a fast break for the finish line.  I finished at 37.28. 
 Here is me with the finish line behind me.  All the ladies were given a rose upon crossing the finish line, thus the Run for the Roses. 

It felt great to run the whole race.  Being that neither the conditions nor myself were ideal, I fell like I can definitely improve my time for the Cary Road Race in April.  In case you were wondering the person who finished last took an entire hour.  Also, that something I was coming down with was an awful case of bloating, cramps and headaches.  Yall know what that is like.

I'll see you at the starting line at the Cary Road Race in April.  If I can do it, you sure can!

No comments:

Post a Comment